Friday, November 30, 2007

Second life

I was quite excited about second life, its new, it's happening, I can create an avatar, I can fly, I can do anything I want in a virtual environment.

Hey even Hef is there, so the place must be cool

http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2007/05/playboy_does_a_.html

However, it turned out it to be fun for a while and then it wasn't really like a game.
There were adult situations, there were rules, there was interaction with other people.
In short it was like World of Warcraft without the fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft




but even the thought of meeting Hef in the grotto couldn't keep me interested


Still, information is organic.
Expectations of service evolve, grow and branch.
Should we as Librarians be on second life?
It really depends on what you think service is all about, should we be where people need our services, and if so do we need to be everywhere that people need our services?

My only answer is, well, try it, if it works and it's used then we have a benefit.

And along the way we could meet HEF!.




(Ok maybe meeting Hef is enough to keep me interested)

Until next time.

No comments: